Intergraph History

1980s

Following Intergraph's IPO in 1981, the stock split twice. Revenue grew 700 percent, the number of employees grew 500 percent, and square footage increased 500 percent. By the end of the decade, Intergraph became the world's largest vendor of computer graphics systems, and was consistently ranked No. 1 in Daratech's customer satisfaction surveys.

Sales of Clipper-based workstations and servers were brisk, and important new applications such as E-911 dispatch management and technical information management were introduced. Intergraph's portfolio of applications included civil engineering, architecture, plant design, electronics, mechanical design, and a variety of mapping and GIS applications.

1980

In 1980, Intergraph released the first computer graphics terminal to use raster technology. The debut of dual 1280 x 1024 pixel displays established the industry standard for high-resolution displays - the same standard as today.

M&S Computing changed its name to Intergraph.

1981

Intergraph became a publicly owned company, with common stock traded on the NASDAQ market under the symbol INGR.

Intergraph introduced a color terminal that featured a 4096-color palette.

Intergraph introduced a 2-megabit/second LAN - a predecessor to Ethernet, using the same CSMA/CD collision avoidance algorithms Ethernet would later use.

1982

Intergraph's systems had three processors, nearly 1 MB of memory, and increased display capabilities.

Intergraph's terminals included a Graphics Processor for 3D element rotations, surface shading, perspective calculations, continuous zoom in and out, and polygon processing. It operated in parallel with the central computer, freeing it for other work.

1983

Intergraph started shipping the award-winning InterAct and InterPro. The InterAct, with its sculptured surfaces, won two of the three national design awards for new products.

1984

Intergraph launches the leading 3D plant design system.

The InterPro 32, Intergraph's first 32-bit standalone workstation, came standard with 2 MB of memory, a 26-MB hard disk, and a 1.6 MB floppy disk.

1985

Intergraph began the search for a more powerful processor for the next generation 32-bit workstation. The Advanced Processor Division of Fairchild Semiconductor enlisted the help of Intergraph and Fujitsu to build the first Clipper chip - the C100.

Intergraph technology helped refurbish the Statue of Liberty.

There were few standards in design or detail in 1886, and once the engineers working to restore the statue began to measure, they discovered, as one of them said, "Nothing about the Lady is orthogonal; everything is skewed, and all of her central members are at angles."

Intergraph customer Burns and Roe was charged with creating a database from the thousands of drawings and documents produced by the restoration team. A full 3D graphics database was established, and modeling began. These drawings enabled the restoration to be completed in time for the centennial celebration.

1986

The InterPro 32C was the industry's first workstation with a processing speed of 5 million instructions per second (MIPS).

Intergraph receives the U.S. Senate's Productivity Award, presented annually to an American company considered to be the model of productivity.

1987

IGDS formed the basis for the MicroStation file format, the PC-based CAD product owned by Bentley Systems, of which Intergraph became a part-owner during this year.

1988

Intergraph introduced the industry's first 27-inch, 2-megapixel display.

Right Hand Column
 
© Copyright 2012 Intergraph Corporation - Printed from www.intergraph.com on 10/2/2014 2:52:58 AM